Position Purpose: The skilled labourer will be required to perform tasks involving physical labour at construction projects, and could be required to operate equipment and/or power tools. The worker will be required to assist with pipe installation and to work above the trenches, retrieving anything on the surface that other workers may need in the trench. Responsibilities will also include the cleaning and preparation of work-sites, setting braces to support the sides of excavations, erecting scaffolding, cleaning up rubble and debris, shoveling, raking, removal of waste materials and any labour related function necessary for the continuation and completion of the job at hand such as traffic control and spotting for trucks and equipment.
Job Duties include, but not limited to:
- Attend safety tailgate meetings & complete pre-work assessment.
- Inspect equipment/tools and report any concerns to the foreperson.
- Report any hazards to the foreperson/supervisor.
- Communicate with operators and other workers.
- Operating equipment safely.
- Hand dig for locates and ensure understanding of the locate(s).
- Set up water pumps and hoses/dewatering of work zone.
- Lift and carry objects from one point to another.
- Setup hoisting and rigging for lifting as needed.
- Use a cut off saw and other small tools, as required.
- Mix cement for workers in trench.
- Install pipes/manholes and structures.
- Check grade/slope/alignment and direct excavator.
- Pack gravel around pipe using jumping jack (if required).
- Install/connect pipes as required.
- Labour/shovel earth/gravel as required.
- Follow trenching guidelines, and proper housekeeping to prevent falls and injuries.
- Ensure proper housekeeping
- Always wear the proper PPE (which could include rubber boots for wet conditions, hearing protection, safety glasses or full face guard if required) along with your regular PPE.
- Conduct yourself in a professional and mature manner.
- 2-5 years of experience working in the trade would be preferred.
- Be vaccinated for hepatitis B per the company policy or signoff that you voluntarily refuse.
- Participate in training courses offered at Fowler such as certain training is mandatory such as confined space training, and air monitor training, and proper heat stress training.
- Strong organizational skills with clear oral and written communication abilities.
- Exceptional organizational abilities with task prioritization, multi-tasking, use of timelines and time management techniques.
- Previous experience with water/sewer an asset.
- Strong work ethic.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work with little supervision; must be self-directed.
- Must be able to stand, lift 50 lbs, carry, bend, reach.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Travel to various sites will be required.
- Indoor and outdoor environments; and various weather conditions.
- Weekend work may be required.